Monday, December 12, 2011

Blast From The Past: Seventh Grade!

I listen to music 99.9 percent of the day. From the moment I wake up there, the first thing I hear is music from my radio after that I turn on Jumpstart in VH1 and watch/listen to those videos as I get ready for work. When I do actually go to work, I pop on my earphones and listen to Pandora or my music library on my phone, yeah you get the picture. Music has been there for me through thick and thin and holds so many memories within.
With that being said I thought of a fun little shenanigan for me to do. Starting today I am going to go through my grades and list three songs that remind me of that particular grade and why. Let’s start with seventh grade, this shall be interesting.
Back in the year of 2003, I was a seventh grader at Eloy Junior High School; I know I’m so ancient. The first song that comes to mind is “Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne. I remember having a talk with my friend Zanie in the band room, a serious talk at that and we abruptly stop because we hear someone belting out “Stacy’s mom has got it goin’ on…” Of course we laughed but then turned the page because what we were saying was fairly more important. As we continued to talk we noticed the sound was getting closer so we just stopped and listened. We listened until the mysterious singer walked straight into the band room and froze once he saw us, which made it more amusing. Why he was embarrassed to sing in front of us but not outside while classes were switching is beyond me but made for a memory.

Another song was “Bring Me to Life” by Evanescence. I remember sitting in the band room doing pretty much nothing because we didn’t exactly have a band teacher that year, well one that taught us anything. Anyway I was sitting down talking to then friend Dominic, as usual we were lost in conversation but something was distracting me. I could obviously hear the song but that wasn’t it, from the corner of my eye I could see someone moving and singing into the microphone stand. Once I turned I saw that the object dancing and singing was one of my good friends, Anthony; one of many memorable song moments.

Last of my top three would have to be Fighter by Christina Aguilera. I remember buying those “Now” cds quite often, well I suppose I should say I remember my parents purchasing them for me quite often. This particular song stuck out to me because it was empowering. The song basically says you don’t need anyone to make you feel happy, you don’t deserve to be treated like crap and when you finally let go of everything/one that held you down, you are a stronger person afterwards. I didn’t exactly need to feel “stronger” back then but I knew one day the song would come in handy; take a listen.

I have no idea how I remember these exact moments, pretty much moment from moment. When I was writing about them, I could actually picture them in my mind. It’s crazy if you think about it, I am 20 years old now and when I was in seventh grade I was 12 going on 13 that’s roughly seven to eight years ago and I remember this like as if it were yesterday. The amusing thing about this all is that to this day whenever I hear any of these songs playing I see these three moments pop into my mind and I love that. Enjoy and tomorrow will come 8th grade! 
xoxo,
alicia.

No comments:

Post a Comment