Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Blast From The Past: Freshman Year!

The year of 2005-2006 I entered my freshman year at Santa Cruz Valley Union High School, pretty much the worst year of high school. I hated that year for many reasons, I hated the way people assumed that they had to grow up right then and there and they way their attitudes changed. But that year also brought wonderful new friends, friends who are still here to this day such as one of my best friends, Berna.
I remember one day standing outside during the five minute break between classes and talking to her along with another friend, while we were talking someone walked by listening to Sugar, We’re Going Down by Fall Out Boy. At that exact moment we busted out singing it even though the musical dude was long gone; moments like that make for wonderful memories.

Being a freshman you’re usually 14 going on 15 years old and for most girls that means it Quinceanera time. I didn’t have one but I happened to be one of the girls in a good friend of mine, her name was Alicia; yes she has the same name as I do. I remember feeling awkward because at that moment I was still iffy about the fact that I had to wear heels, wear a dress in December and possibly dance. I hate dancing, partially because I am a huge klutz and had the tendency to fall, add heels and dancing to the picture and you better believe I imagined me breaking some bone because of it. I felt bad because I did not want to engage in dancing at all but then I thought I am here for my friend so who cares if I make an idiot of myself. I am glad I put that thought in my mind because after doing so I actually had a great time. This song in particular reminds me of that night because I remember a group of us attempting to do the running man in heels and dresses, which made for a memory. Don’t judge us but looking back I definitely hate this song now. :)

I have to say that even though I hated my freshman with passion my favorite memory consist of me being in band. This song started it off for me, I didn’t know that this song would etched in my brain for life and bring me a smile every time I hear it. You have seen the movies and heard the clichés about the high school marching band consisting of losers and geeks with acne galore but truth be told, my high school was the opposite of that. Our marching band consisted of football, volleyball, basketball, wrestlers, golfers, baseball and tennis players, as well as student council and national honor society members. Seriously no joke, our band was awesome and this song is what started it all for me.
(PS, this song was frustrating because I could not find it. Our arrangement was a tad bit different but same song nonetheless.)

As fun as these memories were I was definitely ready for the year to end and for summer to begin. But even after summer vacation I had to go back to a place that I definitely wasn’t fond of, though little did I know I would actually enjoy it for the most part. Have a wonderful day and tomorrow you shall hear more awesome music, although if you’re all lucky I will post sophomore year tonight but until then x’s and o’s!
-alicia.

No comments:

Post a Comment