Friday, August 5, 2011

It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.



When I was a 12 year old 7th grader, I thought I had everything figured out. I thought I would get through junior high in one piece, go on to high school and graduate with honors then go to the University of Arizona and eventually work in the medical field. Then as a 14 year old freshman in high school, the CAVIT program was brought to my attention, and I thought “hey, why don’t I join CAVIT junior year and just start off as a Medical Assistant and eventually work my way up?”

As a 16 year old junior I was accepted into the CAVIT program for Medical Assisting, though I was told that in order for me to go through with it for both my junior and senior year I would have to quit band as well as student council. As most of you know I have been in band since I was 10 years old, as well as an active member of the student council, so obviously that was not an option for me. When I began my senior year at 17 years old I was shocked to know that I no longer knew what I wanted to go to school for or what school I was even going to attend. I stressed a lot that year because I told myself that if the medical field was really something I wanted in my future then I should have went for it when it was offered.. Now looking back stressing was not worth what I put myself through emotionally.

Eventually I went to Northern Arizona University as a Psychology major, later changing my major to Education my first year. Fast forward a couple of years later and here I am, double majoring in Journalism and Social Work. Who knows if I will change it again, although I hope I don’t. But even so, I am okay with staying in school longer than I have to because truth be told I love it and I am not quite ready to grow up just yet.

I guess my point is don’t be in a hurry to grow up sooner than you have to, there is no rush. Sure you may think you have everything figured right now and if you do, great. But keep in my mind that no one can make you do something you don’t want to do; your parents dream for your future may not be your dream and if that is the case then tell them. You are living your life for you and you only; your families (though they are supportive) are mere spectators.

As you are getting ready for this new chapter in your life I want you to know it is okay to mess up and make mistakes, you’re young. If you fail a class, it’s going to be okay; I know it may not seem that way at the time but believe me you’re going to be okay. Retake the class a couple of semesters later and show it whose boss; don’t beat yourself up over it though I will be the first to tell you it’s not worth it. Now with this being said, it doesn’t mean you can go out to a party knowing bad things are going to happen with the thought “oh I am young and I will learn my lesson tomorrow”, no because for one you already know what’s going on and if you already know why put yourself through that?

In the end you are your own person and the choices you make today may or may not affect you tomorrow nonetheless you should learn from them along the way. Keep in mind eventually everything will be put in its place no matter how many times you change your path but don’t rush through growing up. It’s a priceless feeling to be able to break one more glass and skip one more class. There will come a time where things will slow down and we will miss our days when being young and reckless was all that mattered. You will do great things one day but until then, live freely and without regret and most importantly be patient.

-alicia.



No comments:

Post a Comment