Monday, January 13, 2014

A late goodbye and an even later hello-pt 2


A year ago, I sat here with the realization that though it was already 2013, I never wrote my goodbye to 2012. Tonight, I sit here with the same realization that I have yet to say goodbye to 2013. So if you care to give this a gander, here is my farewell/ recap of 2013.

In 2013 I...
Turned 22;
Shared my story of self harm here;
Made an impact on someone with my words;
Took bigger steps out of my comfort zone;
Was selected to be the Student Speaker at the Cesar Chavez Scholarship banquet;
Started writing with Buzznet;
Had multiple posts featured with Buzznet;
Found someone who is basically me and though it's still new, I'm happy;
Gained new friendships;
Told The Summer Set exactly what they meant to me, with details;
Finally saw my favorite bands live: Fall Out Boy, Vampire Weekend, Fun & Tegan and Sara
Attended other amazing shows;
Met amazing musicians including Patrick Stump, Jim Adkins and all of Vampire Weekend;

Sure, there were times where I was hurting so bad that I didn't want to get out of bed this year and losing my Grandmother and seeing my Dad suffer with being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis didn't help. I don't know if it was going through the struggle of loss and pain together or maybe we're just growing up but it brought my family closer than we've ever been and I am thankful for that. Who knows, maybe that's the reason why my Dad is doing so much better. I am also thankful for the friends who not only shared laughter, shows and long car rides singing along to any songs with but who gave me shoulders to cry on when I needed it; the friends who were genuinely proud of me whether it was passing a quiz or getting a post featured on a rad website. Despite the major flaws at the beginning of the year, 2013 was good to me. 2013 was the year where I took baby steps to find out who I really am and though I am not completely done with that journey I am finally learning to be happy with who I am.

2014.
I think we're off to a wonderful start. Sure, we were only hours in when I fell and got 8 stitches but I welcomed you with good company. I'm learning to surround myself with positive vibes to set myself up for a better mood about things I'm not too crazy about, I've taken control and so far I am more than a little happy. I'm continuing to take steps out of my comfort zone and branching out to find who I am meant to be. This year is shaping up to be something special and as cliche as it may sound, I am excited to see what's in store.

Here's to new challenges, new stories, new reasons to smile and laugh, new endings, new beginnings and new in betweens.

xo,
alicia.

This song was my go to song of 2013, it picked me up when I needed it and inspired me to be someone.


No comments:

Post a Comment